Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My little girl

She's getting big. She turns six next week. I know that doesn't seem that old, but I already miss the cute little-girl things she used to say and do.

She used to have a lisp, couldn't pronounce the letter s when it was followed by another consonant. So the word "lisp" for instance, would have been pronounced "lip". She used to talk to us about the tars in the ky, the people walking down the treet, bee tings, tiger tripes, and melling flowers. I won't even bring up the times she wanted to play with her scooter. (hilarious)

When we startled her she'd say "You cared me out of my crap!"


She used to carry around her little kitty blanket and suck her thumb...

I miss that. I wish I hadn't had to work so much and miss out on so much.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Quixote-Grey said...

My little girl isn't so little anymore. She is twelve now and I know exactly what you mean. I still of course, and will always, love her to bits. Though the 'cute' I get now can be a little contrived and sometimes a means to an end. 'Daddy?', 'yes darling?', 'I love you!', 'I love you too honey!', 'daddy?', 'yes darling?', 'may I ........?'.

I'm glad she still plays with her dolls and toys though. A few of her friends think it a tad uncool but she shows such imagination with the scenarios in which she casts them. I encourage her not to be in such a hurry to grow up, that 'you are for such a short time a child and will be for such a long time an adult'.

At the end of the day though I have always been aware that we don't own our children, that they are on loan to us, and generally appreciate the time that I have her for. I'm also lucky in that I work from home (we converted our garages into office space), and have been with her for substantial parts of almost every day of her life.

She seems to be in training these days for being a teenager. A little attitude here and there. But it isn't difficult to see through, and it's nice when you see through it and she sees that you see through it and smiles.

It gets more challenging maybe as they get older. But none the less rewarding.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home